Backed by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures and Chris Sacca’s Lowercarbon Capital, Antora Energy turns sunshine and wind into a reliable, on-demand source of zero-carbon heat and power to enable deep decarbonization of industry and the electric grid. Propelled by a world-class team that includes leaders in their fields, Antora will eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, reducing our dependence on global supply chains, supporting well-paying jobs, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to everyone on earth. People join our team to do the most fulfilling and impactful work of their lives on climate change. Join one of the world’s most transformative climate tech companies. We’re ready to decarbonize the global economy. Are you?
Internship Overview and Project Scope:
This internship offers a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a cutting-edge research environment, contribute to meaningful projects, and collaborate with a team of dedicated professionals in the field. Overall, this position will provide you with a diverse skill set and a comprehensive understanding of scientific research, materials science, and engineering principles. We are committed to fostering your growth and development throughout your internship journey at Antora.
Roles & Responsibilities:
As a Research Intern at Antora Energy, you will have the unique opportunity to work closely with our team of scientists and engineers on a variety of projects. Your internship project(s) can be tailored to your specific interests and ability to work onsite. Your key responsibilities may include:
- Hands-On Laboratory Work: Collaborate with our scientists in conducting laboratory experiments. This may involve working with photovoltaic devices, materials, and measurement equipment.
- Data Analysis: Perform data analysis using computational tools to extract meaningful insights from experimental data.
- Device Processing: Participate in photovoltaic device processing, including cleanroom fabrication and characterization, to contribute to ongoing research efforts.
- Project Support: Assist the team in various projects spanning research and development, as well as scale-up activities.
- Presentation of Results: Prepare, organize, and present research findings and project updates to team members via written reports as well as oral or slide-assisted updates during regular meetings.
- Additional Tasks: Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned by your mentor, which may include literature research, equipment maintenance, and documentation.
- Availability: Able to work part-time, at least 10 hours per week, onsite at our Sunnyvale, CA location. Remote work may also be available based on project interest and requirements. Preference to applicants who are able to commit to an internship duration of at least 6 months.
- Enrollment: Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in Chemistry, Materials Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field.
- Mission: Strong motivation to address climate change through the work we do at Antora.
- Curiosity and Learning: A strong desire to learn new concepts and methodologies and work collaboratively with mentor(s) to achieve common goals.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Interpersonal Skills: Empathy, sensitivity, and ability to effectively interact with a broad and diverse range of colleagues.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Laboratory Experience: Previous academic or industrial laboratory experience and a strong commitment to understanding of laboratory safety protocols.
- Programming Skills: Familiarity with programming languages for data analysis and automation.
- Manual Dexterity: Proficiency in handling small and fragile samples with precision and care.
This position offers a dynamic and enriching learning experience, providing interns with the opportunity to gain and enhance a wide range of valuable skills and knowledge. Here are some of the key skills and learning opportunities you may expect to acquire during your time with us:
- Safety First: We take lab safety seriously. You will become more aware of safety rules and practices, essential in any science or industry setting.
- Lab Skills: You will develop hands-on lab skills, like handling samples, setting up experiments, and collecting data.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: You will learn to use data analysis software for data visualization and discovery. You will learn how to interrogate data and reach conclusions, and how to communicate those conclusions both to a scientific as well as to a general audience.
- Materials Science: Working with solar devices and materials will help you understand how they're made, tested, and used in the real world.
- Teamwork: Learn how to work effectively in a research team. You'll contribute to various projects, from research to making products.
- Problem-Solving: Facing real challenges in the lab will sharpen your problem-solving and creative thinking abilities.
- Adaptability: Our fast-paced environment will teach you to adapt quickly to new ideas and methods.
- Personal Growth: You will interact with experienced scientists and professionals, providing mentorship and personal growth opportunities. You will also learn about industry best practices and career development.
Hourly Range: $25.00 - 30.00 USD per hour