R&D Test Automation Engineer
At Antora, we’re on a mission to stop climate change and we can’t do that unless we tackle the 30% of global emissions that come from industry.
Antora is manufacturing thermal batteries that bridge the gap between renewable power and industrial production. Antora’s batteries store energy from renewables as heat for days on end, delivering that stored energy as heat and power at the scale and temperatures that large industrial operations demand. We’re on a path to eliminate gigatons of emissions while increasing U.S. energy security, strengthening domestic manufacturing, and protecting marginalized communities from industrial pollution.
We are growing our company with people who put team and mission first, value connection through laughter and joy, and build with humility and openness. We are committed to continue building a diverse, passionate, and creative team dedicated to a future where every industrial facility, everywhere on earth, is powered by abundant, low-cost, zero-emissions energy.
- We are seeking a self-driven and passionate individual to join our product development team to deliver zero-carbon industrial heat and power with our novel solid state thermal battery. We are a tight-knit team that loves what we do. We strive to have an impact, working with humility and openness and building lifelong relationships along the way. You will join the R&D Test Engineering Team, collaborating with engineers and technicians to help build, deliver, and maintain Antora’s custom R&D test rigs and early production units. This work will directly contribute to the development and commercialization of a first of a kind long-duration energy storage technology.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and operate high-value sensing, instrumentation and control schemes for custom test rigs at Antora’s R&D hub in San Jose, CA
- Operate, and develop systems to automate, high power (hundreds of kW to MW), high temperature (>2000C) R&D test equipment
- Test, troubleshoot and upgrade controls cabinets, wire harnesses and SCADA systems
- Work closely with controls and electrical team to design and maintain instrumentation lists and wiring diagrams, as well as write, test and maintain controls algorithms and software
- Work closely with mechanical design and advanced technology teams to design and execute high value experiments for product development
- Evaluate and calibrate sensors and instruments for use in both R&D and product applications
- Troubleshoot signal communications and data quality issues
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, controls, and advanced development teams to interpret product development goals and turn them into functioning systems
- Maintain a high level of safety awareness and implement critical safety interlocks into controls schemes
- Work with a high degree of autonomy while remaining open to deliver and receive feedback
- 3+ years as a test automation, test, or controls engineer for high-temperature, high-power industrial systems (energy, thermal processing rockets, etc.) in a fast moving environment with exposure to a wide array of subsystems (fluids, thermal, electrical etc.) and instrumentation (TC/RTD, optical sensors, load gauges, flow meters, etc).
- 2+ years experience with PLC programming and common communication industrial communication protocols (Ethernet/IP, Modbus, Profinet, HART, CAN, etc.)
- Proficient in the use of common test equipment (multimeter, gas sensors, signal generators, microscopes, analytical balances, etc.)
- Solid knowledge of engineering fundamentals (thermal, fluids, electrical, structural) to support test engineering group with troubleshooting and data interpretation
- Experience troubleshooting test equipment and coming up with quick solutions
- Experience working with engineering teams to root cause failures
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, comfortable communicating with all levels of the organization
- Comfortable providing and receiving directions and feedback from engineers and technicians across the organization
- BS degree in engineering or equivalent
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Comfortable with hand tools (drills, saws, torque wrench, etc.)
- Willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate test priorities
- Experience with fluidic and thermal systems, Solidworks, MATLAB, and data post-processing
- Experience with high voltage (kV range) electrical systems and relevant safety protocols
- Metal fabrication experience - CNC, lathe, mill, sheet metal, welding
- Expertise with standard liquid plumbing fitting systems - NPT, compression fitting, etc.
- Electrical wiring and routing - low power controls and/or high power
Work Location: Onsite - San Jose, CA
Salary Range: $112,000 USD - $140,000 USD
Salary Basis: Annual
This job posting contains the salary range that Antora Energy believes it would be willing to pay for the posted job. The actual salary offered will be determined within the posted range based on a candidate's experience, credentials, and expertise as they pertain to the requirements of the position.
In addition to a competitive base salary, Antora Energy’s Total Rewards program includes a premium health benefits package with life and disability insurance, a 401K plan, a flexible spending account, industry leading paid time off policy, providing a flexible and inclusive holiday observance, as well as paid volunteer time off.