CalWave Power Technologies
Position: Electrical Engineer
Location: Oakland, CA
Terms & Benefits: Full-time, available immediately
How to Apply: Submit CV, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com with the subject line: Electrical Engineer
CalWave’s mission is to provide a solution to secure clean, affordable, and reliable electricity and freshwater for coastal communities. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems in massive markets and embody our values of humanity, excellence and creativity. The company is backed by several development contracts with the U.S. Department of Energy and committed investors.
CalWave is seeking a dynamic and innovative Electrical Engineer to further advance CalWave’s proprietary and high-performance Wave Energy Converter (WEC) technology to multi-unit commercial-scale deployments. The ideal candidate is an effective communicator and will thrive in a cross-disciplinary team. The selected individual will work closely with CalWave’s engineers and world-class industry and R&D partners (including UC Berkeley, Sandia National Labs, NREL, and industrial partners) to support the electrical system design of CalWave’s WEC and refinement of overall electric device architecture and power electronic systems.
The preferred candidate should have the following experience:
- Designing low and mid-voltage electric architectures (up to and including utility grid connections) for 100 kW+ applications, up to and including schematics and wiring diagrams / design drawings.
- Experience with selection of power electronics, energy storage devices involving sizing, specification, and procurement.
- Hands-on experience with commissioning and operations of systems.
- Exposure to electrical modeling, particularly PSCAD, is desirable, but not required.
The preferred candidate should possess strong analytical and technical skills, with demonstrable ability to understand complex systems, identify both opportunities and challenges to electrical architecture design and commissioning from both a technical and cost perspective, and both a component and system level. The ideal candidate will ideally also have had exposure to cross-functional coordination with technical disciplines involved in hardware prototyping activities, Hardware-In-The-Loop testing, power system managing and storage (batteries, capacitors), and correlating control design.
Responsibilities – reliance on partners & subcontractors for some of the items below will be dependent on the selected candidate:
- Serve as electrical engineer in design, bench testing, and deployed operation of Wave Energy Converter and shore electrical network interconnection.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams on the integration of electrical systems, including management of consultants and subcontractors.
- Outreach to and negotiations with product and component suppliers.
- Detail conceptual designs to technical drawings, including circuit protection studies and switchgear design
- Ensure electrical networks adhere to all relevant IEC/IEEE standards, including coordination with grid operators.
- Support commissioning of power electronic components at drivetrain Hardware-In-The-Loop test bench and integration into wave energy systems.
- Support feasibility studies of potential wave energy pilot locations, including grid interconnection requirements.
- Ideally: Model electrical systems with PSCAD or similar tools in collaboration with controls team and partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or Master’s degree with 1-4 years of relevant industry experience
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Passionate team worker with a self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit
Location & Benefits:
Oakland, CA (Currently work from home, hardware testing planned to start summer/fall 2023). Full-time. Competitive salary and equity options depending on experience. Premium health care and 401(k) with 3% company match. Dynamic and engaging work environment. Periodic travel to integration and deployment locations will be required beginning in 2024.
Remote work will be considered, but candidates located in or willing to relocate to the Oakland/Berkeley area are preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CalWave Power Technologies Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
At CalWave, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. CalWave is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
CalWave Power Technologies Inc. (CalWave) is developing a game-changing next generation and patent pending Wave Energy Converter (WEC) to harness the vastly available, predictable and stable energy from ocean waves to serve coastal communities. CalWave spun out from UC Berkeley, graduated from Cyclotron Road at the end of 2016 and was awarded the DOE by DOE US Wave Energy Prize.