Senior Process Engineer
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
The Senior Process Engineer will have a large impact in developing Cuberg’s next generation cell by working in many cross functional roles. Responsibilities include pilot manufacturing process management, material evaluation and characterization for manufacturability, and equipment improvement/modification, while ensuring a safe and cost-effective work environment.
Ideal candidates are detail-oriented, have prior pilot production engineering experience, take pride in the quality of their work, and work well in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic startup environment.
Join us in building the future of energy.
- Provide day-to-day hands-on process and equipment support to manufacture prototype products and transition new products and processes into manufacturing
- Act as the cell assembly subject matter expert in material/cell R&D projects by understanding material parameters that interact with automated cell assembly processes and providing engineered solutions for prototyping
- Apply formal problem-solving techniques to determine root cause and implement corrective and preventative action (CAPA) plans
- Plan and execute hands-on technical work using statistical techniques including Design of Experiments (DoE) and Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Identify and address opportunities to continuously improve our products and processes; and assess for regulatory, quality, ergonomic, safety, environmental, and cost impact
- Collect and manipulate data from material/sub-assembly suppliers and internal processes to determine significant correlations and trends affecting product quality and performance
- Write procedures and provide training and coaching to other manufacturing associates
- Evaluate new process machinery from external vendors and bring in-house through qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering with 4-6 years of hands-on engineering experience in a manufacturing environment post-graduation
- Proven history of documenting and communicating work effectively
- Demonstrated ability to:
1. Apply engineering fundamentals and statistical tools to development, optimization, and troubleshooting activities;
2. Prioritize, plan, and drive multiple projects concurrently from development to completion against agreed upon timelines and deliverables;
3. Work independently and collaborate effectively as part of a team, including influencing across functions;
4. Identify critical issues and failure modes, creating a framework of action to address these issues and assess root cause including effective risk-based decision making;
5. Leverage critical thinking to navigate technical and project uncertainties
The San Fransisco / Bay Area base salary range for this full-time position is $127,000 - $158,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
- 3+ years of direct hands-on experience in a hardware or materials manufacturing environment as a Process Engineer
- Experience doing detailed design and hands-on fabrication of custom electro-mechanical equipment components
- Experience developing or transitioning new processes from R&D to pilot production
- Experience working within a formal manufacturing quality system with change controls
The San Francisco / Bay Area cash compensation (base + bonus) range for this full-time position is $127,000 - $157,000 + equity + benefits.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave