Staff Electrical Engineer, Battery Management Systems
The Electrical Engineer for Battery Management Systems will design, develop, bring-up, integrate and validate controllers for high voltage management and safety critical systems. The successful candidate will work closely with control, software, system engineering teams to develop a new class of battery system. The candidates are comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic startup environment. You will be working on high impact battery system solutions with a wide range of projects.
Join us in building the future of energy.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- Design and develop the battery management system hardware including architecture, specifications, schematic, layout, bring-up, integration, verification and validation from prototype to production stage
- Design and develop the HV system hardware solution including architecture, parts selection, characterization and certification
- Assess novel technology for next generation battery application, prototype and evaluate the design techniques
- Perform functional safety analysis and FMEA
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary teams to evaluate, implement, validate and optimize BMS performance with overall system design
- Communicate progress and results to stakeholders in a concise and effective manner
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or other related fields
- 3+ years of experience in battery management system architecture design and circuit development
- Industry experience designing and bring up safety critical complex electrical circuits
- Solid understanding of battery technologies and battery safety feature
- Strong experience in schematic, layout, component management
- Familiar with state of the art micro controllers and other critical BMS ICs application
- Experience in EMC testing and EMC analysis
- Familiar with programming language such as Python, Matlab or C
- Strong troubleshooting and PCBA rework skills
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities
- Experience working on safety critical applications with full cycle development including certification including aerospace, vehicle, energy, etc
- Working experience and familiarity with BMS features, algorithms, diagnostics, and prognostic development
- Experience, understanding, and intuition for the electrochemical physics and thermals of lithium metal and lithium ion cells
- Experience with Functional safety, DO-254, DO-330, DO-331
The target US compensation range for this full-time position is $127,000-$192,000 + equity + benefits. Compensation ranges are determined by level, role and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the target for new hire cash compensation, individual pay is determined by additional factors including relevant job-related skills, experience and additional factors. Your recruiter will be happy to share more about about the salary range during your hiring process.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave