Senior/Staff R&D Battery Cell Engineer - R&D Process Development
We are seeking a dedicated and collaborative Senior/Staff Battery Cell Engineer to join our R&D Process Development group. In this role, you will play a pivotal part in the development and optimization of the build processes for our next-generation Li-metal battery cells, with a particular focus on generating and executing design of experiments (DOEs) for cell build processes. Your contributions will advance our company's mission to reshape the landscape of sustainable mobility.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- BS, MS, or PhD degree in a scientific or engineering field (e.g., Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering)
- 5+ years of experience in battery cell development, focusing on process development and optimization.
- In-depth knowledge of Li-metal battery cell chemistries, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Strong background in design of experiments (DOE) methodology and its application to battery cell build processes.
- Expertise in data analysis using tools such as Python, Matlab, JMP, or other statistical analysis software, as well as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Familiarity with design of experiments (DOE) methodology or a willingness to learn and apply it to battery cell build processes.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Strong commitment to safety, quality, and continuous improvement.
- Lead the design, development, and optimization of battery cell manufacturing processes, focusing on cell assembly, cell finishing, and formation for Li-metal battery systems.
- Collaborate closely with the R&D Materials and Engineering teams to integrate new materials and designs into the battery cell manufacturing processes, enhancing performance and safety.
- Generate and execute design of experiments (DOEs) for various cell build processes, analyzing data to identify and address process-related issues.
- Work with cross-functional teams, including materials science, quality, and production, to ensure seamless technology transfer from the lab to the manufacturing facility.
- Continuously improve process performance and product yield through data-driven decision-making and iterative process development.
- Create and maintain process documentation, including work instructions and best practices.
- Train and mentor junior engineers and technicians on battery cell process development and optimization, fostering a culture of teamwork and continuous learning.
- Stay current with the latest advancements in Li-metal battery technology, materials, and manufacturing techniques to inform process development and innovation.
- Participate in safety and quality audits, ensuring compliance with all relevant industry standards and regulations.
The San Francisco / Bay Area cash compensation (base + bonus) range for this full-time position is $127,000 - $190,000 + equity + benefits.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave