We are looking for an Electrolyte Scientist to join the Advanced R&D team at Cuberg that will develop electrolytes to enable the deployment of our advanced battery technologies in various next-generation applications. The Electrolyte Scientist will develop research plans, perform experiments, analyze data, present results, and recommend new development pathways. They will collaborate closely with other engineers and scientists at Cuberg and Northvolt, as well as external partners, to improve optimize the core cell chemistry. Specifically, the Electrolyte Scientist will discover novel electrolyte components & additives, develop electrochemical and analytical characterization methods for electrolyte formulation screening, and assess the performance of electrolyte formulations. The ideal candidate has industry experience in developing battery electrolytes and additives with a strong background in organic chemistry and electrochemistry. We work cross-functionally and collaboratively to serve our collective mission to build a better, more sustainable world from our new state of the art San Leandro facility. By joining Cuberg’s Advanced R&D Team, you will be a key player in maturing our cell chemistry, contributing to electrifying the aviation industry, and being a part of the transition to a greener future.
Join us in building the future of energy.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in the Silicon Valley area, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- Ph.D. in a scientific or engineering field (e.g., chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or a related discipline), or B.S./M.S. with 4+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with battery electrolyte and electrolyte additive design and development.
- Strong background in organic chemistry, battery fundamentals, electrochemistry, and materials science.
- Strong background in designing/conducting/supervise experiments in laboratory, glovebox, and dry room environments
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Lead technical projects on electrolyte development initiatives aligned with the company's product roadmap and objectives and identify new pathways for development
- Design, discover, and source novel electrolyte components and additives that exceed state-of-the art performance and safety tradeoffs and limitations.
- Develop understanding, characterization, and design concepts for optimal in-situ SEI and CEI compositions that extend cycle life, cell reliability, and cell safety.
- Develop understanding and characterization of electrolyte-dependent degradation/failure modes
- Identify and proactively address delays, obstacles, inefficiencies, and unexpected results
- The San Francisco / Bay Area cash compensation (base + bonus) range for this full-time position is $127,000 - $157,000 + equity + benefits.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave