R&D Battery Cell Engineer - R&D Process Development
We are seeking a motivated and collaborative Entry-Level Battery Cell Engineer with a BS degree in a scientific or engineering field (e.g., Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering) to join our R&D Process Development group. In this role, you will contribute to the development and optimization of the build processes for our next-generation battery cells, with a focus on executing design of experiments (DOEs) for cell build processes. Your work will support our company's mission to reshape the landscape of sustainable mobility.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific or engineering field (e.g., Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering).
- Knowledge of Li-metal battery cell chemistries, materials, and manufacturing processes is a plus.
- Familiarity with design of experiments (DOE) methodology or a willingness to learn and apply it to battery cell build processes.
- Proficiency in data analysis using tools such as Python, Matlab, JMP, or other statistical analysis software, as well as Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Proficiency in mechatronics and microcontroller programming such as Raspberry Pi and Arduino projects is a plus.
- Proficiency with power tools and basic machining. Experience with CAD modeling and 3D printing and/or CNC milling is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Strong commitment to safety, quality, and continuous improvement.
- Assist in the design, development, and optimization of battery cell manufacturing processes, focusing on electrode preparation, cell assembly, and formation for Li-metal battery systems.
- Work closely with the R&D team to integrate new materials and designs into the battery cell manufacturing processes, enhancing performance and safety.
- Execute design of experiments (DOEs) for various cell build processes, analyzing data to identify and address process-related issues.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including materials science, quality, and production, to support the seamless technology transfer from the lab to the manufacturing facility.
- Assist in the design and development of automated and semi-automated testing fixtures for process development projects
- Support the creation and maintenance of process documentation, including work instructions and best practices.
- Learn from experienced engineers and technicians on battery cell process development and optimization, fostering a culture of teamwork and continuous learning.
- Stay current with the latest advancements in Li-metal battery technology, materials, and manufacturing techniques to inform process development and innovation.
- Participate in safety and quality audits, ensuring compliance with all relevant industry standards and regulations.
The San Francisco / Bay Area cash compensation (base + bonus) range for this full-time position is $91,000 - $106,000 + equity + benefits.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave