Sr Manager of Battery Module & Pack Test Engineering
Cuberg builds high-performance energy solutions based on next-generation technology for the world’s most demanding battery applications. Cuberg technology, paired with the manufacturing excellence of parent company Northvolt, will help give rise to a new generation of mobility businesses and decarbonize hard-to-abate segments of the transportation industry.
Cuberg technology uses a lithium metal anode and proprietary liquid electrolyte to simultaneously solve the interlocking challenges of battery performance and manufacturability. While incumbent battery technologies, such as lithium-ion, can be too heavy and low-performing for use in aircraft, Cuberg’s battery cells are lightweight and high-performance. The technology is also compatible with industry standard manufacturing methods, enabling scalability, reliability and traceability across the value chain.
Cuberg and Northvolt believe that complete electrification will require a revolutionary spirit and a practical mind. We won’t just design the world’s best batteries—we will ship them at scale.
The Sr. Manager of Battery Module & Pack Test Engineering is an experienced leader of teams that will develop Test Equipment and methodologies for lithium metal battery cells, modules & packs and is comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic startup environment.
As a leader of Cuberg’s Test Engineering team, you will manage a multidisciplinary team of engineers and technicians to balance the efﬁciency of test channel utilization and safety with a rapid pace of R&D progress in lithium metal batteries and battery modules with liquid electrolytes. Prior experience managing a technical team to achieve ambitious milestones is required to be successful in this role.
The ideal candidate has expertise in managing and growing battery test infrastructure and teams in a complex R&D environment. A consistent focus on data quality and test safety is key. This position is a rare opportunity to be at the forefront of technology innovation, growing an advanced-materials startup into a ﬂourishing business.
Join us in building the future of energy.
- R&D Cell Testing
- Establishing engineering improvements, mechanical, thermal, data traceability, correlate R&D experiments
- Lead a team of engineers and technicians to design, optimize, and implement test processes and techniques in collaboration with R&D
- Manage all aspects of battery testing, including cell scheduling, cell formation, cell cycling, cell monitoring, test protocol deployment, setup test data pipeline to engineering database.
- Module & Pack Testing - Electrical, performance and Safety testing
- Liaise and manage external 3rd party testhouses that complement our internal capabilities.
- Own the design construction and commissioning of infrastructure needed to facilitate internal electrical and safety testing.
- Motivate and inspire direct reports to deliver impactful results through thoughtful strategic and professional goal setting, teamwork, attentive support for professional development, and regular delivery of compassionate feedback
- Collaborate with leadership to ensure business priorities are effectively translated into impactful Test Engineering goals; communicate priorities to Staff; and guide the design of project plans that ensure on-time execution of deliverables.
- Electrical Engineering Degree or equivalent in relevant experience
- 5+ years Experience in high voltage, high power testing for battery packs and modules
- Experience with thermal, mechanical and electrical safety testing of batteries /modules
- Grid interconnection background is a plus
- 5+ years of leadership experience, experience growing and leading technical teams
- Experience growing complex, multidisciplinary teams with demonstrated success managing a team of scientists or engineers to achieve measurable test development outcomes.
- Deep data engineering background and recent experience in test engineering for energy storage devices.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to help you and your family build a healthy and secure future.
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave
The target US compensation range for this full-time position is $157,000-$215,000 + equity + benefits. Compensation ranges are determined by level, role and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the target for new hire total cash compensation (base + bonus), individual pay is determined by additional factors including relevant job-related skills, experience and additional factors. Your recruiter will be happy to share more about about the salary range during your hiring process