Staff Battery Mechanical Engineer
The Staff Battery Mechanical Engineer will design and analyze battery module and pack systems. Ideal candidates are experienced design engineers with battery experience and are comfortable in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic startup environment.
Join us in building the future of energy.
Cuberg is commercializing next-generation battery technology to power the future of electric mobility. The company was acquired in 2021 by Northvolt, a global supplier of sustainable, high-quality battery cells and systems. As Northvolt's Advanced Technology Center operating in Silicon Valley, Cuberg is developing and commercializing lithium metal batteries, building an innovation ecosystem around lithium-ion technology, and leveraging Northvolt's state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities to rapidly scale up production of advanced batteries.
- Design battery module and pack mechanical systems including cell to module integration, interconnects, HV bussing and connectors, thermal management system, passive thermal runaway propagation resistance, and enclosures.
- Develop, analyze and comply with battery system requirements and specifications
- Utilize sizing, hand calcs and engineering estimation to inform your designs
- Create drawings and specifications for your designs
- Interface with suppliers and partners
- Prototype and test your designs
- Collaborate with the test and integration team to experiment, iterate, assess performance, and verify requirements
- Communicate progress and results to stakeholders in a concise and effective manner
- 5+ years of high voltage battery mechanical design experience with a demonstrated ability to develop concepts into successful products
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Expert CAD user with practical GD&T knowledge
- Strong working knowledge of mechanical engineering analysis techniques and tools (stress, thermal, fluid flow, etc.)
- Experience with a variety of material joining techniques applicable to batteries including bonding and welding
- Generous stock options
- Group health benefits that provide strong support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and flexible savings account plans
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching
- Generous paid time off plans to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, holidays, and parental leave