Staff / Senior Staff EHS Engineer
We are seeking a dedicated and experienced Staff/Senior Staff EHS Engineer to play a pivotal role in our comprehensive Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) program. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in various EHS disciplines, with specific expertise in Environmental Reporting and Compliance, Industrial Hygiene (IH) Testing, ISO Management Systems (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001), Chemical Management and Hazard Communication (HazCom), Environmental Monitoring and Sampling, Emergency Response Planning, Auditing, and Inspection.
Cuberg builds high-performance energy solutions based on next-generation technology for the world’s most demanding battery applications. Cuberg technology, paired with the manufacturing excellence of parent company Northvolt, will help give rise to a new generation of mobility businesses and decarbonize hard-to-abate segments of the transportation industry.
Cuberg technology uses a lithium metal anode and proprietary liquid electrolyte to simultaneously solve the interlocking challenges of battery performance and manufacturability. While incumbent battery technologies, such as lithium-ion, can be too heavy and low-performing for use in aircraft, Cuberg’s battery cells are lightweight and high-performance. The technology is also compatible with industry standard manufacturing methods, enabling scalability, reliability and traceability across the value chain.
Cuberg and Northvolt believe that complete electrification will require a revolutionary spirit and a practical mind. We won’t just design the world’s best batteries—we will ship them at scale.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Environmental Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, or related field.
- 5-7 years of progressive experience in EHS roles, with expertise in the mentioned areas.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local EHS regulations and compliance requirements.
- Professional certifications (e.g., CIH, CSP, ISO Lead Auditor) preferred.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
Environmental Reporting and Compliance:
- Lead the preparation, review, and submission of environmental compliance reports to regulatory agencies.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations.
- Develop and maintain environmental management systems to monitor and reduce environmental impact.
- Conduct environmental impact assessments and recommend strategies for improvement.
Industrial Hygiene (IH) Testing:
- Plan, conduct, and oversee IH testing programs, including exposure assessments.
- Evaluate workplace exposure to various hazards and recommend control measures.
- Monitor air quality, noise levels, and other factors affecting employee health.
- Manage and maintain IH sampling equipment and instrumentation.
ISO Management Systems (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001):
- Manage and enhance ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System) and ISO 45001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management System) certifications.
- Integrate EHS policies and procedures into ISO management systems.
- Lead internal and external audits, maintain certification compliance, and drive continuous improvement.
Chemical Management and Hazard Communication (HazCom):
- Oversee the management of hazardous chemicals, including SDS maintenance and chemical inventory tracking.
- Ensure compliance with the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) for chemical labeling and classification.
- Provide training and education on chemical safety and HazCom standards.
Environmental Monitoring and Sampling:
- Plan and execute environmental monitoring and sampling programs.
- Collect and analyze samples of air, water, soil, and other media to assess environmental impact.
- Interpret monitoring data and recommend corrective actions as needed.
Emergency Response Planning:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive emergency response plans and procedures.
- Coordinate emergency drills and training exercises.
- Ensure readiness for various emergency scenarios and compliance with relevant regulations.
Auditing and Inspection:
- Conduct internal EHS audits and inspections to assess compliance and identify areas for improvement.
- Interface with regulatory agencies during external audits and inspections.
- Track audit findings and drive the implementation of corrective actions.
The target US compensation range for this full-time position is $156,000-$200,000 + equity + benefits. Compensation ranges are determined by level, role and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the target for new hire total cash compensation (base + bonus), individual pay is determined by additional factors including relevant job-related skills, experience and additional factors. Your recruiter will be happy to share more about about the salary range during your hiring process