Chemical Engineer Co-op
Found Energy is building clean energy delivery platforms capable of replacing fossil fuels for heavy industries ranging from aluminum production (4% of global CO2 emissions) to fertilizer production (2% of global CO2 emissions) to maritime shipping (3% of global CO2 emissions). Building off technology developed at MIT that enables metallic aluminum to split water, our energy delivery systems safely generate hydrogen and industrial heat on-site at >5x the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen and >3x that of methanol and ammonia. By integrating storage, transport, and generation into a single package, our technology solves some of the biggest pain points in renewable energy transportation and storage.
At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for partners who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more information, visit https://found.energy.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies at the kW-scale, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working to scale up the reactor system for both our minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot demonstrations. The completion of the MVP and commercial pilots requires designing and testing numerous sub-processes and sub-systems at the targeted industrial scale, as well as at various intermediate scales along the way.
Co-opsin this role will be responsible for directly translating previous and ongoing R&D work into prototypes and production units, while measuring and tracking performance metrics, and solving key technical issues as they arise. You will interface with our customer and pilot partners to develop solutions and customize our technology to meet their technical requirements.
Co-op Duration: 6-12 months
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design, build, and test reactor prototypes in support of reactor scale-up and pilot projects
- Design and build test platforms for rapidly iterating and validating subsystems
- Perform data analysis on reactor test results to identify improved operating conditions
- Create process flow diagrams, models, and simulations of prototype and production units
- Produce and maintain P&ID and other documentation
- Specify, downselect, and modify COTS components for integration into subsystems
- Participate in and lead design reviews of chemical process subsystems
- Develop safety systems and protocols for the prototype and production systems
- Develop and maintain SOP documentation for prototype and production systems
- Translate R&D work into prototype functional requirements and specifications
- Translate partnership specifications into design requirements
- Deeply motivated by the climate crisis and its downstream impacts
- Pursuing education in chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, or related fields
- Track record of strong academic and/or project-based performance
- Exceptional communication and documentation skills
- Experience in one or multiple of the following:
- Chemical reactor design, assembly, and validation
- Familiarity with process control systems, PID controllers, and PLC controllers
- Chemical separation and purification processes
- Solid-liquid separation and filtration
- Sourcing and integrating pumps, valves, and other essential equipment for fluid control and transport within the process system
- Creating process flow diagrams and chemical system simulations/models
- Hydrogen handling and safety equipment, including fuel cells
- Sensor integration and data acquisition
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.