Found Energy is building clean energy delivery platforms capable of replacing fossil fuels for heavy industries ranging from aluminum production (4% of global CO2 emissions) to fertilizer production (2% of global CO2 emissions) to maritime shipping (3% of global CO2 emissions). Building off technology developed at MIT that enables metallic aluminum to split water, our energy delivery systems safely generate hydrogen and industrial heat on-site at >5x the volumetric energy density of liquid hydrogen and >3x that of methanol and ammonia. By integrating storage, transport, and generation into a single package, our technology solves some of the biggest pain points in renewable energy transportation and storage.
At Found Energy, we believe in securing a livable and equitable future for our planet, and we are looking for partners who are motivated by this goal to join us. For more information, visit https://found.energy.
Found Energy has demonstrated its core hydrogen generation technologies, including a system capable of powering a full-sized electric vehicle. We are now working to scale up the reactor system for both our minimum viable product (MVP) and commercial pilot demonstrations. The completion of the MVP and commercial pilots requires designing and testing numerous sub-processes and sub-systems at the targeted industrial scale, as well as at various intermediate scales along the way.
We are seeking a lab technician to work on-site in our Boston research and development center on assembling, maintaining, and testing aluminum-water reactors. In this role, you would work under our engineering team's guidance managing reactor prototypes, performing quality control checks on aluminum fuel, and maintaining a well-stocked and organized lab environment. You'll record precise data, note operational anomalies, and contribute to the scale-up of our reactor technology.
Applicants should have prior experience working in laboratories and machine shop environments, and understand the needs and requirements for efficient operation and function. The applicant should thrive in an exciting dynamic start-up environment, and be highly driven to improve the productivity and efficiency of their colleagues.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist in the construction, assembly, and maintenance of reactor prototypes under the guidance of engineers.
- Perform modifications to reactor prototypes under the guidance of engineers.
- Conduct routine maintenance and troubleshooting of reactor components to ensure operational reliability.
- Follow SOPs to prepare pretest, post-test, and checkout procedures on reactor prototypes.
- Prepare and perform routine QC checks on aluminum fuel.
- Manage laboratory inventory, ensuring all materials and equipment are well-stocked and properly maintained.
- Record detailed experimental data and observations
- Note any anomalies or areas for improvement, and report findings to the engineering team.
- Adhere to strict safety protocols while handling potentially hazardous materials and operating pressurized systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support the scale-up of reactor technology from lab prototypes to production-ready units.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 3+ years of related experience.
- Proven experience as a laboratory technician, preferably in a chemical or energy-related environment.
- Experience with piping and fittings including NPT, Swagelok, flanged pipe, etc.
- Experience installing or using sensors and electrical tools such as power supplies, multimeters, and oscilloscopes.
- Experience handling compressed gas cylinders and operating pressure equipment. Experience with hydrogen gas systems is a plus.
- Proficient in the use of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Proficient in the use of laboratory equipment, analytical instruments, and data analysis software.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Keen attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy in all laboratory functions.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to convey technical information clearly.
- Deeply motivated to combat climate change.
- Flexibility to deal with the rapidly changing needs of a startup.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who might not meet the exact requirements, but who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Found Energy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.