Senior Software Engineering Manager
About Liminal Insights
Liminal’s mission is to accelerate the clean energy transition by improving the cost, quality, and reliability of battery manufacturing. We do this by providing customers with better analytics and insights during production. Our breakthrough EchoStat® platform uses ultrasound and machine learning technology to supply customers with the information needed to accelerate production ramp-up, improve productivity and reliability, and detect critical defects early. We will be deploying our first fully-automated process inspection solutions in a major cell manufacturing factory in late 2023.
Liminal is based in Emeryville, California. Our investors include ArcTern Ventures, Ecosystem Integrity Fund, Chrysalix Ventures, Volta Energy Technologies, and Northvolt. We also have funding support from the Department of Energy’s ARPA-E, the National Science Foundation, and the California Energy Commission.
Our Culture and Values
- We are dedicated to building a world-class, world-positive company.
- We work closely on a foundation of mutual trust and informed decisions.
- Our core values are trust, empathy, and curiosity.
- We encourage personal growth, continuous learning, and safety.
- We believe the most innovative teams are inclusive of and celebrate all forms of diversity.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineering Manager to work on designing, developing, and deploying cutting-edge battery inspection technology and products. We are developing an on-premises metrology tool that integrates with factory systems, as well as cloud systems for ingesting and analyzing the collected data. You will be instrumental in defining our software organization structure, budget, and product roadmaps and enabling your team to develop modular, scalable, robust software that meets product requirements. You will be responsible for managing a diverse team of Software professionals including mentorship, development, assessment, and workload distribution. On a typical day, the software team may integrate a new data acquisition (hardware) component into our toolchain, build integrations for industrial devices (servers, PLCs, MES), develop data pipelines in our cloud ecosystem to support machine learning and data analytics or deploy systems for commissioning, tracking and updating field-deployed solutions.
You value active listening, thoughtful questions, and data-driven discussions. You are comfortable with gathering and distilling information in ambiguous situations to drive the direction of open-ended projects. The ideal candidate will approach this work with a mixture of intellectual curiosity, thoughtful creativity, and methodical rigor. You will get great satisfaction from seeing people do great things with your work, and, above all, are excited to solve hard problems that have a positive impact on the world’s clean energy future.
- Responsible for software organization that supports the development of Ultrasonic Hardware, factory automation, Controls software (PLC), and cloud infrastructure.
- Lead and manage the team in the development, integration, testing, documentation, release, and deployment of all software.
- Interface with customers and commercial teams to analyze requirements and use case development and drive definitions of software specifications.
- Coordinate, plan, and supervise software engineering, QA, and DevOps processes that help establish a predictable release schedule.
- Build and maintain partnerships with cross-functional teams and vendors.
- Develop and mentor team members to reach their career goals. Monitor performance and guide staff to career enhancement actions and opportunities.
- Lead the evaluation and selection of candidates for hiring.
- A passion for working to accelerate the global transition to clean energy, as well as a passion for building scalable and well-documented software.
- 10+ years' experience in the software industry, at least 3 years in a leadership role
- Hands-on experience with large-scale software development for products consisting of HW subsystems, factory automation, and data analytics.
- Proven experience with higher level programming language Python, C++, C# or Java
- Experience managing software development, upgrades, enhancements, and fixes that are coordinated based on release schedules.
- Ability to identify risks and bottlenecks, and drive troubleshooting unusually complex engineering problems.
- Strong communication skills, and ability to influence others both inside and outside of the team/organization.
Nice to haves
- Experience developing software in an industrial or manufacturing setting that consists of IoT, PLCs, MES, and SCADA
- Working with key stakeholders to provide cost estimations and develop budgets for hardware, software, and cloud services.
- Experience with the AWS cloud ecosystem and database design
- Agile software development experience
- Experience with process control and inspection
- Annual salary of $190,000 to $210,000 plus stock options, based on skill level and experience, to help you and your family build a healthy and secure future.
- Group health benefits that provide support for employee well-being and preventative care, including comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- A retirement program that helps build future financial security through both traditional and Roth 401(k) options with employer matching.
- Flexible working hours and a hybrid working model so you can be productive when and how is best for you.
- Generous time-off policy to allow you to renew and refresh through vacation, personal leave, and holidays.
- For new parents, 12 weeks of fully-paid parental leave that you can take at any point during the first year.
Liminal is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate all forms of diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. However you identify or whatever your path here, please apply if this job excites you. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment.