Junior R&D Engineer
SiTration is commercializing a new type of membrane filtration technology capable of performing the most challenging industrial separations in the harshest environments. We aim to provide a more sustainable and cost-effective route to accomplishing critical resource extraction, manufacturing, and waste treatment processes on a global scale. SiTration’s patented core technology spun out of MIT in 2020 with a mission of creating a greener industrial future.
Industrial separations today account for one sixth of global energy consumption, and 80% are carried out using inefficient thermal processes such as distillation and evaporation. While membrane filtration has the potential to be 10X more efficient, today’s filtration membranes are too chemically and thermally fragile, too expensive, and are incapable of performing critical high value separations. The SiTration membrane combines cutting-edge nanofiltration performance with ultra-durability, thereby filling this crucial gap in the filtration technology landscape.
SiTration is focused on enabling a paradigm shift in a number of applications, namely the extraction of critical materials in lithium-ion battery recycling, manufacturing of semiconductor devices & (bio)pharmaceuticals, and chemical production. By substantially lowering costs and improving sustainability in these processes, SiTration aims to reduce the environmental and societal burden of such critical industrial activities on a global scale.
The Junior R&D Engineer will contribute significantly to every facet of our team’s membrane fabrication, testing, and characterization efforts, as well as the development of ancillary systems necessary to support this work. Primary approaches employed in our work include standard wet chemistry, microfabrication, electrochemistry, and materials characterization. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for our mission, and a desire to be part of a dynamic team environment. Hands-on lab experience in chemical/mechanical/materials engineering, or similar disciplines is highly beneficial.
The position will be located in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge, MA, in close proximity to the MIT/Kendall Square MBTA station.
- Conduct experiments related to the fabrication, application testing, and materials characterization of SiTration’s technology.
- Optimize SiTration’s fabrication process to meet target specifications.
- Build and operate test systems to enable proof-of-concept testing.
- Analyze, interpret, and present data to contribute to critical decision-making.
- Work closely with other team members in a wet lab and cleanroom setting.
- Lead projects to investigate specific areas of interest.
- Prioritize stringent environmental, health, and safety practices in all aspects of work and supervision.
- Foster and maintain a welcoming and inclusive work environment for all.
- Bachelors degree in chemical/mechanical/materials engineering or similar. Work experience is an asset, but not required.
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication and time management skills.
- Experience with hands-on experimentation and problem solving with physical/mechanical systems.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-pace environment, both individually and with a team.
- Experience with pressurized liquid and gas systems, electrochemistry, microfabrication, or membrane filtration are all considered assets, but not required.
SiTration, Inc. is committed to providing equal-opportunity employment to all persons. No person shall be denied equal access because of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical/mental disability.
SiTration, Inc. is committed to observing all COVID-19 safety protocols and regulations at the federal, state, and local level.