Sonera is building state-of-the-art magnetic sensors that can be used in ambient conditions at room temperature while maintaining high sensitivity. We are looking for a talented and driven neuroscientist to join our research efforts and work closely with our hardware and software engineers towards developing a novel biosensing system using these solid-state magnetic sensors.
The work will initially concentrate on designing physiological experiments, collecting data using existing third-party systems, and developing algorithms for analysis. As Sonera sensors come online the focus will transition to adapting the experimental pipeline to custom built hardware and providing input on sensor design decisions for effective neuroscience applications.
The ideal candidate will have experience with neuroscience research and signal analysis as they will play a hands-on role in experimental design as well as both data collection and analysis. This person should be comfortable independently determining the direction of projects, evaluating a variety of potential solutions, and making progress towards open-ended problems.
Typical base salary is in the $130,000 to $180,000 range alongside generous equity compensation through participation in Sonera's Equity Incentive Plan; actual salary can be more or less than the posted range and will be determined based on the individual’s applicable skills, education, qualifications and experience for the role.
- Design, build, and carry out novel experiments for characterizing and optimizing the use of magneto- and electrophysiological sensors to record heart, muscle, and brain signals.
- Leverage deep subject knowledge to iterate upon algorithms employing physiological data in real-time for a variety of applications.
- Develop a pipeline for preprocessing and amplifying / extracting meaningful biological data from noise.
- Build, train, and optimize machine learning models for classification using complex, multichannel datasets consisting of various types of sensors.
- Work closely with the engineering teams to develop systems for data collection as well as determine optimal hardware design and software architecture.
- Conduct literature reviews and stay apprised of recent developments in relevant neuroscience and computational research.
Core Skills and Experience:
- PhD or equivalent industry experience in Neuroscience, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Machine Learning or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience collecting and analyzing electrical or magnetic muscle or neural signals (EEG, ECoG, MEG, EMG, etc.).
- Experience with analyzing magneto and / or electrophysiological data and familiarity with relevant toolboxes (FieldTrip, MNE, etc.).
- Strong foundation in digital signal processing, data analysis, and coding (Python, MATLAB, C++, Jupyter, etc.).
- Understanding of feature extraction and / or source localization techniques.
- Knowledge of common ML frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe, etc).
- Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Experience in consumer wearables, multimodal sensing, or sensor fusion is a plus.
Competitive salary and stock options
401(k) with company match
Health, vision, dental coverage
Flexible time-off policy, paid parental leave
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.
Sonera Magnetics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis or perception of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
It is company policy to perform background checks and review candidate references. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Sonera Magnetics, Inc. participates in the E-Verify Program.