Computational Materials Scientist
We are looking for an outstanding research scientist with exceptional computational skills in materials modeling and new materials discovery, to join our sensor development efforts. Work will focus on the multiscale modeling of magnetic & magnetoelectric properties and phenomena of classes of materials, grown on a variety of substrate types. The work performed in this role is intended to bridge the gap between simulation & experiment, provide guidance and actionable input to experimentalist colleagues for materials development. The ideal candidate will have experience with multiscale modeling of magnetization dynamics in a variety of material systems (e.g., magnetic, magnetoelectric) and using a variety of approaches (e.g., DFT, atomistic, micromagnetic), as well as a strong technical understanding of magnetism and multiferroic phenomena. This person should be confident in taking on project management responsibilities, and comfortable with creative problem solving in a startup environment.
Typical base salary is in the $120,000 to $160,000 range alongside generous equity compensation through participation in Sonera's Equity Incentive Plan; actual salary can be more or less than the posted range and will be determined based on the individual’s applicable skills, education, qualifications and experience for the role.
- Perform multiscale modeling of magnetization dynamics in a variety of material systems (e.g., magnetic, magnetoelectric, multiferroic, etc.), under a variety of configurations (e.g., single-layered films, multilayers, heterostructures, etc.), and on a variety of substrate types (e.g., heteroepitaxial, insulating or piezoelectric, etc.)
- Perform multiscale modeling of magnetic properties and phenomena using a variety of approaches: electronic structure calculations, atomistic, and micromagnetic simulations
- Incorporate the theoretical models to bridge the gap between simulation and experiment, and provide actionable input to experimentalist colleagues to follow-up on
- Work with the materials team - collect feedback from experiments & iteratively advance the simulation framework
- Provide guidance for future materials development work, towards the goal of achieving preset performance metrics for Sonera’s sensors
- Comfortable with different software coding languages and algorithms, be proactive in identifying and resolving technical problems related to software development
Core Skills and Experience
- PhD in Materials Science & Engineering, Condensed Matter Physics, Applied Physics, or a related field (recent graduates welcome to apply)
- Significant experience with electronic structure calculations using DFT (e.g., VASP, Quantum Espresso, etc.)
- Significant experience with atomistic simulations and micromagnetic modeling (e.g., OOMMF, MuMax) and device modeling tools (e.g., COM modeling)
- Significant experience with scientific programming languages (e.g., Python), data acquisition, and data analysis techniques
- Strong theoretical knowledge and understanding of magnetic and multiferroic materials
- Prior experience with Machine Learning algorithms would be a plus
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills, strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
Competitive salary and stock options
401(k) with company match
Health, vision, dental coverage
Flexible time-off policy, paid parental leave
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license.
Sonera Magnetics, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis or perception of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
It is company policy to perform background checks and review candidate references. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Sonera Magnetics, Inc. participates in the E-Verify Program.