Chief RFIC Design Engineer
We are an early-stage fabless semiconductor company designing cutting-edge wireless microchips for phased arrays. Founded by UC Berkeley PhDs, our unique technology promises significant reductions in power consumption (2-4x) across multiple markets from 5G to satellite communication (SatCom) to radar (e.g. automotive radar / ADAS). We have raised funding to make our first prototype and are excited to change the world with your help. You will be joining a two person team so you will be integral to every decision we make and will have the opportunity to grow rapidly.
We are seeking a Senior Principal RFIC Design Engineer to be part of the core team. Their focus will be taking our first-of-its-kind mmWave front-end beamformer chips from initial concept to market-ready product. As Senior Principal RFIC Design Engineer, and a leader in the company, you will be responsible for:
- Designing, testing and architecting mmWave circuits for RF front-end blocks and products
- Conducting system-level modeling of phased arrays, including custom chips and antennas
- EM simulation and modeling of circuits, chip packages, PCBs and antennas
- Performing RF bench-top and over-the-air testing
- Managing engineering infrastructure including EDA tools and servers
- Collaborating with the founders and leading a growing team of engineers and contractors as needed
- Experience in mmWave front-end circuit architecture and design, including key blocks like LNAs, PAs, VGAs, phase shifters, inductors, transformers, and transmission lines, and associated circuit theory
- Proficiency in core mmWave EDA tools and key design flows
- Experience in mmWave/RF testing for receivers, transmitters, transceivers, and front end RF circuits using industry-standard equipment
- No formal education requirements but advanced degrees can demonstrate a track record of excellence
- Strong theoretical expertise in spatially selective multi-antenna wireless systems
- Proficiency in EDA tools for antenna design and simulation at mmWave frequencies
- Familiarity with relevant RF technology nodes
- Past experience with commercial (or large scale academic) tapeouts, especially with DFM, reliability, and costing considerations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, to present their work, decision-making process, and document their work.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to navigate complex engineering conversations to achieve the best result in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to understand complex customer needs and translate them into clear engineering specifications
- A track record of innovation and commitment to excellence.
- Desire to change the world and have an impact with their work.