Controller / VP Finance
Tierra Biosciences, Inc.
Tierra Biosciences, a venture capital backed life science company, has pioneered a novel high-throughput protein production platform that produces hundreds of custom proteins on-demand faster than others can make just one. We use cell-free synthetic biology to bring the power and throughput of genomics technologies into protein production. Our diverse range of customers engage in the creation of pioneering products in therapeutics, chemistry, biotechnology, agriculture, and food. At Tierra Biosciences, we play a pivotal role in expediting our customers' scientific exploration, enabling them to swiftly transform ideas into market-ready, life-changing innovations.
We’re looking for a Corporate Controller/VP Finance who will play a pivotal role in our company's financial management and strategic decision-making process. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Corporate Controller/VP Finance will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of financial operations, driving financial performance, managing risk, and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership abilities, exceptional analytical skills, and extensive experience in financial management within the life science industry.
Financial Planning and Analysis:
- Develop and implement strategic financial plans, budgets, and forecasts.
- Perform comprehensive financial analysis, including profitability analysis, cash flow projections, and risk assessments.
- Provide accurate financial reporting, insights, and recommendations to senior management for informed decision-making.
- Evaluate the financial impact of business initiatives, investments, and potential partnerships.
Financial and Accounting Operations Management:
- Oversee day-to-day financial and accounting operations, including general accounting, accounts payable/receivable, sales invoicing, payroll, and tax compliance.
- Establish and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard assets, ensure accuracy, and compliance with relevant regulations.
- Drive process improvements, automate financial systems, and enhance efficiency and effectiveness within the finance function.
- Manage relationships with financial institutions, external advisors, and auditors as needed.
Risk Management and Compliance:
- Identify and assess financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Ensure compliance with relevant financial regulations, accounting standards, and tax laws.
- Prepare and file accurate financial statements, tax returns, and other regulatory reports.
- Coordinate and support internal and external audits.
Team Leadership and Development:
- Provide effective leadership to the finance team, fostering a collaborative and high-performing culture.
- Recruit, develop, and retain top talent, providing coaching and mentoring to enhance individual and team capabilities.
- Establish clear goals, performance metrics, and professional development plans for the finance team.
- Foster cross-functional collaboration with other departments to achieve organizational objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field (Master's degree preferred).
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or equivalent professional qualification.
- Proven track record of at least 10 years of progressive finance and accounting experience, preferably within the life science industry.
- Strong understanding of financial principles, accounting standards, and regulatory requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of financial planning and analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and risk management.
- Extensive experience in managing financial operations, internal controls, and compliance.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and develop teams.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Proficient in financial software systems and advanced MS Excel skills.
- High level of integrity and ethical conduct.
Note: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the Controller/VP Finance role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Tierra offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k). Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our San Leandro, CA location.