Vice President, Business Development
Tierra Biosciences, Inc.
Tierra Biosciences, a venture capital backed life science company, has pioneered a novel high-throughput protein production platform that produces hundreds of custom proteins on-demand faster than others can make just one. We use cell-free synthetic biology to bring the power and throughput of genomics technologies into protein production. Our diverse range of customers engage in the creation of pioneering products in therapeutics, chemistry, biotechnology, agriculture, and food. At Tierra Biosciences, we play a pivotal role in expediting our customers' scientific exploration, enabling them to swiftly transform ideas into market-ready, life-changing innovations.
We're looking for a Vice President of Business development who will play a pivotal role in driving the growth and success of Tierra by leading the formation of revenue bearing relationships and key deals. This dynamic leadership position emphasizes strategic business development to forge strategic partnerships across relevant vertical markets to maximize Tierra’s industry stature and revenue growth.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive business development strategy aligned with the company's objectives to achieve revenue targets and market expansion.
- Identify, implement, and report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and/or Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) to leadership, the board and throughout the organization.
- Develop a process for business development deal sourcing, evaluation, negotiation, implementation, governance, monitoring, and reporting.
- Identify, evaluate, build a deal pipeline, and close strategic business opportunities that yield significant recurring revenue and/or provide significant one-off financial value.
- Identify, evaluate, build a deal pipeline, and close partnerships and collaborations that drive growth, enhance our product portfolio, and/or otherwise improve our position in the market.
- Facilitate and ensure successful implementation of partnership business operations internally and externally (sales training, process, execution, marketing, etc.).
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key customers, partners, and stakeholders to understand their needs and ensure exceptional customer satisfaction.
- Partner with all groups (R&D, Operations, Product and Marketing, Technical Support, Customer Service, Finance) to gain wide alignment in achieving company goals.
- Act as the strategic business development voice across the organization, providing a clear direction, enthusiasm, encouragement, and motivation to team members.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant life science field with 15+ years experience; advanced science degree and MBA preferred.
- Proven experience in a senior leadership role within the life science industry, with a strong focus on individual contributor business development; leadership of teams is a plus.
- Experience selling custom synthetic biology products to diverse customer segments including pharmaceutical, biotech, and industrial customers.
- Record of accomplishment of and closing large revenue deals and collaborative partnerships within the life science industry.
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills.
- Strong analytical, strategic, and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to build, nurture, and close revenue-bearing strategic relationships with customers and partners.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required.
- Excellent dynamic leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to align diverse stakeholders towards common company-wide goals.
- Experience working globally in multiple geographies.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Proficient in advanced MS Office skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.).
- High level of integrity and ethical conduct.
Tierra offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, and 401(k). Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our San Leandro, CA location.