Head of Communications
Marketing & Communications
Somerville, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2023
Background & Overview
Sublime Systems is a technology company commercializing affordable, ultra-low-carbon cement. Sublime's breakthrough replaces the industry's legacy fossil fuel-fired kilns with an electrochemical system that operates at ambient temperature, eliminating the use of fossil fuel and the need for limestone, resulting in low-carbon, low-embodied energy cement. This technology has the potential to drive gigaton-scale CO2 reductions in an industry responsible for 8 percent of global emissions. Sublime is backed by mission-aligned investors, including The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, Energy Impact Partners, and Lowercarbon Capital. We are building a diverse and collaborative team of folks who are "amped about cement" (pun intended), who share our values (excellence, creativity, and teamwork), and our motivation to create a better world.
In this role, you will be responsible for creating and executing a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that effectively communicates Sublime’s breakthrough approach to producing low-carbon Sublime Cement and helps Sublime achieve its mission of having a swift and massive impact on global CO2 reductions. Responsibilities include managing our brand, developing educational campaigns, coordinating events, and utilizing digital marketing. Additionally, you will work closely with our team to ensure a cohesive and aligned approach to all of our outreach efforts.
The ideal candidate has a proven ability to create compelling stories, a thorough understanding of the power of earned media in propelling a startup, and a genuine passion for working with a company that is actively addressing one of the world's most pressing environmental challenges.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that aligns with Sublime’s overall goals and objectives. This includes identifying target audiences, creating messaging and positioning that resonates with those audiences, and developing campaigns that deliver that messaging through a variety of channels (e.g. digital, print, events, etc.).
- Oversee the development and execution of all marketing campaigns, including digital marketing, advertising, press coverage, and public relations.. This includes creating and managing content calendars, developing creative briefs, working with agencies and vendors to execute campaigns, and analyzing campaign performance to make data-driven decisions about future campaigns.
- Cultivate a clear and compelling “front door” for Sublime Systems, managing our website, all owned/public‐facing channels, and Sublime’s brand identity. This includes a brand-sign off for all external marketing publications and communications.
- Create and drive press strategy—including key messaging guidelines, pitch development, responding to inbound requests, writing talking points, and more—to best position Sublime to our target audiences.
- Manage the company's brand and reputation, ensuring consistency across all marketing and communications materials. This includes working with the design team to create visual guidelines, ensuring that all messaging and content align with the company's brand, and monitoring online and offline mentions of the company to identify opportunities for reputation management.
- Collaborate across Sublime Systems to ensure alignment and integration of all marketing and communications activities. This includes working closely with cross-functional teams to develop go-to-market communications, ensure that customer insights are incorporated into narratives, and coordinate the launch of new products or milestones.
- Analyze market trends and competitor activity to inform marketing and communications strategies. This includes conducting market research, tracking industry trends, monitoring competitor activities, and using that information to inform the development of new campaigns and initiatives.
- Draft blog entries, opinion articles, social media posts, and other narratives. This includes identifying topics that resonate with our target audiences, conducting research to support the content, writing engaging and informative narratives, and ensuring that all content is consistent with the company's brand and messaging.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in marketing and communications, with at least 3 years in a leadership role
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful marketing and communications strategies
- Strong understanding of digital marketing and advertising, public relations, and integrating these efforts with the company’s customer engagement
- Experience implementing communications and marketing enablement software
- Experience analyzing market trends and competitor activity
- Strong project management skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write quickly, accurately, and compelling across multiple platforms
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with content management systems and website management
- Experience in B2B marketing in the construction industry is a plus
Sublime Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Research suggests that qualified people from historically marginalized groups may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Your Right to Work
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
See more open positions at Sublime Systems
Something looks off?